BlueWave Studio forum
Need help with OAP microphone integration - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Installation and Upgrades Support (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-93.html)
+--- Thread: Need help with OAP microphone integration (/thread-3796.html)

Need help with OAP microphone integration - Randy2576 - 04-24-2023

Daniel - Bluewave,

I looked at many posts and asked for help before, but so far I'm stuck.  I can't seem to get my microphone working properly in OAP.  It works fine in Raspi, but not in OPA. 

My hardware:

iPhone 8 Plus
Pi4 8GB
UGREEN USB sound card
Microphone that works in Raspi with UGREEN attached to Pi
Touchscreen
Recommended wired Carlinkit dongle (working)
Wired Bose speaker for testing purposes, plugged into UGREEN sound card - Pandora and others playing fine over it
BT dongle - Kinivo BTD-400
32GB San Disk card - new
Fresh installation of OAP 16 flashed on card with Raspi fully updated

Problem description:

I made sure the microphone works by recording my voice in the console using this command: arecord --format=S16_LE --rate=16000 --file-type=wav out.wav

It recorded fine and played back fine. Based on that I made the assumption that the dongle worked fine - maybe that was wrong of me....

When I go into OAP, with my phone connected to Carlinkit using Carplay, covering my phone with a pillow and speaking directly into the microphone as before, I get nothing.  Saying "Hey Siri!"  does nothing.  I don't know what other phrases OAP uses to communicate, if any, but "Hey Siri" doesn't work. 

Found this in the FAQ section:

Q: I use external Bluetooth adapter and successfully paired my Phone with Raspberry PI but callers do not hear me during a call. What is going on?
A: Please double check that you use Bluetooth adapter that is not based on Broadcom chip. Adapters based on Broadcom chips have broken SCO routing and will not work with Hands-Free calling.

I have a Kinivo BTD-400. Under specifications it does not say if it uses a Broadcom Chip, but it does say this:

Broadcom Bluetooth Stack available for Windows 7. Works with Raspbian and Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi.

Can someone verify if this BT adapter is fine or is it one of the problem adapters. From the description it doesn't sound like it has a Broadcom chip installed, but that it can run Broadcom protocol with the Stack.

Edit: Checked on the Kinivo website and now it seems this is one of the adapters with Broadcom chips. Accordingly:

Under Linux Driver Installation:

The Linux kernels after June 2012 have the drivers for the Broadcom Bluetooth chipset.

Let me try another BT adapter.

Sound Blaster WUSB6300 V2 - higher speeds available using USB3, but it wasn't recognized by the Pi. Checked with Tech and for whatever reason they said only Win drivers available??? Did a search and found that Linux 88x2bu drivers should work. I just installed them and am about to boot up...............................................

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - Daniel_BlueWave - 04-24-2023

Ok, so microphone works fine. There is the issue between phone <-> RPi connection. As a first step make sure that you granted all required permissions at your phone. Would be good to check setup with dirrentet BT dongle. Check recommendations here: https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-105.html

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - Randy2576 - 04-24-2023

Yes, that's exactly what my next course of action is, since the drivers for the Soundblaster did not take. Ordered a Panda BT dongle per recommendation. Hopefully that will take care of that. Will let you know the results.

Btw, as far as iPhone permissions go, there isn't much more than to grant or deny a pairing request, is there? Under Carplay, there is nothing about permissions, only that you can barely customize the order and limited number of apps. If there are any other permission settings, I am unaware of them.

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - Daniel_BlueWave - 04-24-2023

Ok, let's wait for results.
The permission that you allow after BT pairing is enough.

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - Randy2576 - 04-25-2023

Daniel,

When I press "M" on the keyboard, "Siri" comes on and I can talk to her.

Shouldn't I also be able to not use the keyboard (obviously I won't have one in the car) and invoke Siri just by saying "Hey, Siri?"

If not, how do I enable voice control without a keyboard?

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - KreAch3R - 04-25-2023

I don't understand the problem exactly, so can you leave Carlinkit out of it for second? (I have android). Can you just connect your phone with Bluetooth and Try to make or take a phone call? Does it work?

Also, check 5.1.3 Bluetooth settings on the userguide:
https://bluewavestudio.io/resources/openauto_pro_user_guide/openauto_userguide.pdf

have you tried playing around with them? I have changed a lot of times to get it work perfectly, and I haven't touched it since, so I don't remember what works for me, but I can check for you. But try them as well.

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - Randy2576 - 04-25-2023

I started to write a reply to report all that was happening with BT, the phone, and OAP, but it just got too long. Let me wait for the Panda dongle, and try that to see if most of the issues disappear. Will be here today.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the Settings guide, I don't think I've been over that yet, and will absorb it today.

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - markwinger - 08-03-2023

I have what appears to be the same problem. I have seen this on the forum but no solution.
My hardware:

Pixel 4a
Pi4 4GB
USB dongle sound
USB Microphone
7" hdmi Touchscreen
BT dongle - Unknown maker
64GB San Disk card
OAP 16 flashed on card with Raspi fully updated

I had this working fine. Then I paired my wifes phone (Moto G-7) and now I cannot get the mic to work properly again even with the pixel.
If i say OK Google or Hey Google, I get a response. A notifications sound is heard, it switches to android auto display, shows the input box for the assistant query and the icon on the side is moving showing its waiting for my request. But it does not hear my request and times out. It is not the phone that is hearing me because I put the phone outside the car, close the door and it still responds to hey google. If I place a phone call I cannot be heard by the person receiving the call.
Alsa mixer shows the microphone and the meter indicates it is hearing sound. I have tried un-pairing the phone and re-pairing rebooting everything. The also mixer show 3 input devices, my usb mic, input from the sound dongle and av input from my video capture device. I Alsa mixer I changed the USB sound dongle to be output only still no help.

I have another Bluetooth dongle that is marked CSR 4.0, will try that tomorrow.

Why does the mic sound not get to AA when the OK Google was obviously heard? Those of you that have had this problem, how was it resolved?

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - markwinger - 08-04-2023

I got it working. In alsa mixer the cancelation input device was muted. When I unmuted the mic started working properly.
Tomorrow I will try pairing to my wifes phone again and see if it breaks again.

RE: Need help with OAP microphone integration - markwinger - 08-04-2023

I've paired 2 phones now and it is still working.